GPs are often asked to complete a variety of forms for patients, such as for the Benefits Agency or for Life Assurance, and under NHS legislation, they do not have to undertake this work, but if they choose to, they can charge for it as a private service.
The GPs in this practice want to concentrate their efforts on NHS work and therefore might not undertake lengthy items of non-NHS work.
Any agreed items of work, GPs will try to complete within 5 working days, so please do not ask for them to be done sooner. Payment should be agreed and made before the form / paperwork is completed.
Please note that GPs and other health professionals cannot sign Passport Applications, if they have not known the patient for at least 2 years.
All the work listed below is classed as non-NHS work, however, as an additional service to patients, the GPs will do:
DS 1500 Forms
- Loan Protection Forms
- Travel Insurance Claim Forms
- Incapacity Benefit Forms IB113
- Reports for the coroner
Depending on workload, the GPs might not do:
- Disability Living Allowance Forms
- Department of Work and Pensions Forms (except those required under the NHS)
- Attendance Allowance Forms
- Medical Reports for Insurance and Mortgages
- HGV and Taxi Medicals
- Diving Medicals
- ‘Looked after children’ Medicals
A list of current charges is displayed in the waiting room or can be obtained from reception.